Wednesday, February 17, 2010

the village fasching parade

Yesterday was the village fasching parade. It was cold, but it was beautiful outside! We saw blue sky and that big, yellow thing -- I think it's called the sun? -- for most of the day. So nice! I can't wait until those days start to get close together.

Zander is not normally a big fan of riding on shoulders, but he was willing yesterday. He had trouble seeing at first because there were so many people in front of us. (Try to refrain from making smart comments about how it's surprising he can see past all that hair. I know it's difficult to pass up an opportunity like that, but try!)

The costumes ranged from silly...

...to stately...

...to, well, Mexican?

We eventually found a place where the crowd was a little thinner and the boys got to stand right along the side of the parade route. This woman, a Red Cross paramedic (their ambulance was standing ready nearby), took an instant liking to Zander. She spent most of the parade helping him get candy, tucking it into his hood when he ran out of pocket space.

Izzy and I stood back behind the crowd. He wasn't overly impressed with the level of noise right at the street and he was COLD. We ended up walking back home a little early, in fact. He did enjoy dancing with me, though...I'm so glad Jason didn't catch that on camera!

Vampire fever is definitely a worldwide phenomenon.

This would be Jake's favorite group. They were the smart group, in my opinion. I think they were much warmer than most of the other groups!

The older boys really did enjoy the parade, despite the cold. They got quite the haul of candy, too. Jake even got to use his umbrella to "catch" the candy thrown from the floats. That is how it is supposed to be done "traditionally." The camera started misbehaving, so Jason didn't get a picture of that.

A few of the parade participants came and handed the smaller kids things directly.

One of the last groups through were these people with their wooden masks. I missed this group but Jason said that they were playing "peek-a-boo" with Zander. I wish I could have seen that!

I am so glad we took the time to head out to the parade. We were running a little late and the kids were in a terrible mood when we left the house, but it ended up being a really pleasant afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails