Sunday, September 12, 2010

No Longer in Deutschland!

It's been a long, long trip but here we are. We arrived in California a little over a week ago. Here is the last photo I took of the boys in Germany. We were getting ready to head down to where our plane was loading.

Obviously all this means that we got our orders. (If you are a comment reader or know us in real life, you knew this a long time ago. If you are like me and don't read the comments on the majority of the blogs you read...well, you know now!) As soon as that happened we were swept up in a wave of activity that washed us up onto American soil.

Our flight out left in mid-afternoon German time and was supposed to land in Baltimore around dinner time East coast time. Except it didn't. Somewhere into the seventh hour of our flight the pilot came on and told us we would be detouring to Bangor, Maine. Why? Well, it would seem we were a little light on gas. Not a great detour, but better than the detour we'd have gone through had we not made the stop, eh?

My thoughts exactly.

Thankfully it was determined that we could just gas and go, leaving customs for when we arrived in Baltimore. I can't even begin to tell you what a relief that was. The idea of unloading all four kids and our carry-ons, finding our bags, lugging everyone through customs, putting the luggage back on the plane, and then reboarding (only to do everything but the customs again two hours later) did not appeal to me at all. As a matter of fact, I think I need a nap just thinking about it now, nearly a month later. Thank you, thank you, Bangor customs people! You rock!

Our arrival in Baltimore was awesome. I should have been prepared, what with this post written by Anne Marie at Household 6 Diva a few months ago. I wasn't. I bawled like a baby when we walked into a room full of men and women and children welcoming us back to the states. (Granted, they were really there for the homebound servicemen and women we hitched a ride with. But still.) It was incredible. I was so humbled and thankful for those people. It lifted me up (which is pretty amazing after a 10+ hour ordeal); it also broke my heart. That is a story for another day, though.

We spent two days in Baltimore and I decided one thing: the people of Baltimore are a wonderful people! So incredibly gracious and nice and just...Lord, I don't even know. We had a fabulous time and I can't even find the words to tell you all just how relaxing and fantastic those two days were. Yes, my friends: Amanda is speechless. Mark your calendars!

There is more to this tale but I am so tired. I will give you the next installment tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails