Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Christmas Box: A Holiday Horror Story

One day this week I dropped under the "20 pounds lost" mark. It wasn't on the "official" weigh in day, but it still happened and I am thrilled! I'm trying to not get frustrated at the slower rate of loss; I know that is the healthier way to go in the long run! However, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't secretly wishing it would just go now, Now, NOW!

I probably would have hit that magic number on weigh in day but for the fact that we had a little bump in the road last week. Jason's mom sent us our Christmas box. These boxes are legendary among the people who know us. While we were in Germany, the boxes would be FULL TO THE TOP with candy and holiday treats. There were routinely 6+ boxes of Christmas snack cakes every year. One year there were 10. (No, I'm not joking!)

For some reason I thought that the boxes would have less junk food now that we're back in the states. I guess I thought that we got those things because she thought that we couldn't buy them where we were.

I.Was.So.Wrong.

Six boxes of snack cakes, three bags of candy, three bags of Christmas cookies, two bags of my very favorite peanut squares, one bag of these coconut things that Jason likes--this and more of the usual suspects were lovingly packed into that friggin' box. But guess what? Now that the shipping times are a little more predictable we've added homemade goodies to the mix--in the form of TWO pecan pies and two HUGE containers of peanut butter delights, one with nuts and one without.

Oh, people. It was ugly.

You know what, though? It all tasted good initially but I felt so yucky after eating just a little bit. I noticed that I felt sluggish and jittery and just off. I felt the sugar crash so much more now than what I was a few months ago and I could identify it for what it was. A few days ago I had my first low blood sugar mood swing in weeks...and that's when I called it quits on the Christmas box. No more for me; it's just not worth it.

I have a lot more work to do and a lot more weight to lose, but I'm so far from where I was just two months ago. I have changed a lot in my head and I think that is probably the most important change that needed to take place.

How are you doing with your goals (fitness or otherwise!)? Have you found the holidays getting in the way of things you wanted to accomplish? How have you dealt with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails